📰 55 sources covering this story

Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo: What's going on and why is the outbreak so alarming?

First covered 6 days ago · latest take 12 mins ago. Compare how each outlet is covering it — and rate the sources you trust.

Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo: What's going on and why is the outbreak so alarming?
CBC News
CBC News34 mins ago
Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo: What's going on and why is the outbreak so alarming?
The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is spreading at an "unprecedented speed," according to the World Health Organization. Experts say armed conflict and a lack of vaccines or treatment are among several factors complicating response efforts.
The Independent
The Independent12 mins ago
Congo’s Ebola outbreak reaches 5,000 cases as it outpaces response efforts at unprecedented speed
The Ebola outbreak in Congo has reached 5,000 cases as responders warn it is spreading at an unprecedented speed outpacing efforts to slow it in one of the country’s remotest regions
France 24
France 2424 mins ago
🔴 Ebola in DR Congo: More than 5,000 cases reported amid fears of international spread
The number of confirmed Ebola cases in ​the Democratic Republic of Congo now exceeds 5,000, government data showed late on Tuesday, as health ​officials ‌warn that response efforts are ⁠failing to contain the deadly disease. Congo’s 17th Ebola epidemic ‌turned into the biggest in the country’s history ⁠in terms of numb
Congo’s Ebola outbreak reaches 5,000 cases as it outpaces response efforts at unprecedented speed
The Ebola outbreak in Congo has reached 5,000 cases as responders warn it is spreading at an unprecedented speed outpacing efforts to slow it in one of the country’s remotest regions
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows
The public health institute has so far logged 5,021 cases, making it the second-worst outbreak globally.
Reuters
Reuters3 hrs ago
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows  Reuters
Congo Ebola outbreak far from being under control: WHO chief
GENEVA (AFP) -- The Ebola outbreak in Congo is moving faster than any previous epidemic of the disease and risks spreading to more countries, the head of the World Health Organization warned Tuesday. "We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a
New York Post
New York Post6 hrs ago
Congo’s rapid Ebola outbreak is now most fatal in nation’s history with over 2,300 deaths, government says
The latest data shows 101 new cases and 33 deaths reported in the previous 24 hours.
Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera7 hrs ago
How Ebola became the deadliest outbreak in DR Congo’s history
Conflict, delayed detection, and mistrust are complicating efforts to contain the virus in eastern DR Congo.
The Japan Times
The Japan Times10 hrs ago
Congo Ebola outbreak ‘far from being under control’: WHO chief
Congolese officials said on Monday that the outbreak had killed over 2,300 people out of nearly 5,000 cases, making it the deadliest in the country's history.
Vanguard
Vanguard12 hrs ago
DR Congo Ebola outbreak ‘far from being under control’ – WHO chief
The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is moving faster than any previous epidemic of the disease and risks spreading to more countries, the head of the World Health Organization warned Tuesday.
The Hill
The Hill15 hrs ago
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in Congo history
The Ebola outbreak in the Congo is now the deadliest in the country’s history, according to new government data released on Monday.  There have been a total of 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths associated with this outbreak in the country since May. This tops the previous record set during the 2018 outbreak in the
WHO chief warns DR Congo Ebola outbreak ‘far from being under control’
The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is moving faster than any previous epidemic of the disease and risks spreading to more countries, the head of the World Health Organization has warned. “We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
AllAfrica
AllAfrica18 hrs ago
Congo-Kinshasa: Ebola - Motorbike Riders Carrying the Sick May Hold Key to Response Boost
[UN News] From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.
Punch
Punch19 hrs ago
DR Congo Ebola outbreak ‘far from being under control’ – WHO
The DR Congo Ebola outbreak is the deadliest in the country’s history and “far from being under control,” warns WHO. Learn about the risks and spread.
CTV News
CTV News19 hrs ago
Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead
Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak has now killed over 2,300 people and become the deadliest outbreak of the disease on record in the Central African nation.
UN News
UN News20 hrs ago
Ebola: Motorbike riders carrying the sick may hold key to response boost
From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.
WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months
GENEVA: A World Health Organization official said on Tuesday (Aug 18) it was still possible to bring under control an Ebola outbreak that is outpacing containment efforts and has become the second-deadliest on record.The global health agency said earlier this month that reversing Ebola's spread would be possible within
RTÉ News
RTÉ News22 hrs ago
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from under control': WHO
The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is moving faster than any previous epidemic of the disease and risks spreading to more countries, the head of the World Health Organization has warned.
Morning Star
Morning Star23 hrs ago
Congo’s fast moving Ebola outbreak has killed over 2,300
CONGO’S fast-moving Ebola outbreak has now killed over 2,300 people and become the deadliest outbreak of the disease on record in the Central African nation. The outbreak unfolding in one of Congo’s most vulnerable regions is the fastest-growing Ebola outbreak ever, with 4,945 cases including 2,325 deaths, according to
Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history
Reuters —  The Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 2,325 people, government data showed on Sunday, surpassing the toll from the 2018-2020 outbreak to become the deadliest in the country’s history. DR Congo’s public health institute said in its latest report that confirmed cases had risen to 4,945,
Euronews
Euronews23 hrs ago
Ebola outbreak in Congo becomes country’s worst as virus spreads at “exceptional pace”
Congo’s latest Ebola outbreak has killed more than 2,300 people, making it the deadliest outbreak of the disease ever recorded in the country.
SBS News
SBS News1 days ago
Fastest-growing Ebola outbreak in history leaves 2,300 dead in Congo
The World Health Organization has said the current Ebola outbreak is on track to surpass the deadliest on record.
Daily Star
Daily Star1 days ago
Deadliest virus outbreak on record with over 2,300 dead as major warning issued
The Ebola outbreak in one of the Democratic Republic of Congo's most vulnerable regions is the fastest-growing ever recorded, with 4,945 cases including 2,325 deaths, according to government data
Bloomberg
Bloomberg1 days ago
Congo Ebola Outbreak: Financial Oversight Takes Priority as Distrust Grows
Ebola is reviving suspicions of profiteering in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, where distrust over how response money is handled is undermining the community cooperation needed to contain the world’s fastest-growing outbreak.
Semafor
Semafor1 days ago
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country's history
The current outbreak is spreading five times faster than previous ones.
Congo’s Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in history with over 2,000 deaths
The Ebola outbreak spreading through Central Africa has become the deadliest in history, with the death toll surpassing 2,000, according to health data released Sunday. Government data showed that 2,325 people have died in the outbreak, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded during the 2018-2020 outbreak, which had been
Breitbart
Breitbart1 days ago
'Ebola Is Winning': Outbreak Becomes Deadliest in DR Congo's History
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) confirmed that at least 2,325 people have died of Ebola infections.
National Post
National Post1 days ago
Congo’s Ebola outbreak now its deadliest ever. UN warns virus is ‘winning’
The death toll reached 2,325 after another 365 fatalities were recorded last week
Stuff
Stuff1 days ago
Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country's worst with over 2300 dead
Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak has now killed over 2300 people and become the deadliest outbreak of the disease on record in the Central African nation.
Toronto Star
Toronto Star1 days ago
Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead
Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead  Toronto Star
AP News
AP News1 days ago
Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead
Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead  apnews.com
CNN
CNN1 days ago
Deadliest Ebola outbreak in D.R. Congo history
Deadliest Ebola outbreak in D.R. Congo history  CNN
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post1 days ago
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
KINSHASA - A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has become the country's deadliest ever after government figures showed it killed more than 2,300 people in three months.
Ebola outbreak becomes Congo’s deadliest
United Nations health experts warn that that the virus is ‘winning’
GB News
GB News1 days ago
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country's history with more than 2,300 deaths
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country's history with more than 2,300 deaths  GB News
Africa News
Africa News1 days ago
DRC Ebola outbreak deadliest ever with one death every 30 minutes
The Ebola outbreak in the DR Congo is the deadliest ever, new data shows, with one person dying from the virus every thirty minutes.
ITV News
ITV News1 days ago
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo now deadliest in country’s history
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo now deadliest in country’s history  itv.com
Guardian World
Guardian World1 days ago
Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo now deadliest in country’s history
At least 2,325 people have died from the virus, according to official data, with outbreak on track to be biggest in history The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest in the country’s history with at least 2,325 people dead, according to government data, surpassing the toll from the
Congo Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in country's history as death toll reaches new peak
Congo's public health institute said in its latest report that confirmed cases had risen to 4,945, including 101 new cases detected in the previous 24 hours.
BBC World
BBC World2 days ago
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history
The outbreak was already the fastest growing on record, caused by a rare species of Ebola called Bundibugyo.
Daily Maverick
Daily Maverick2 days ago
Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history
Aug 16 (Reuters) - The Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 2,325 people, government data showed on Sunday, surpassing the toll from the 2018-2020 outbreak to become the deadliest in the country's history.
HuffPost
HuffPost2 days ago
Democratic Republic Of Congo's Ebola Outbreak Becomes Deadliest In Country's History
Democratic Republic Of Congo's Ebola Outbreak Becomes Deadliest In Country's History  HuffPost
Sky News
Sky News2 days ago
Ebola outbreak is now DR Congo's deadliest
An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has officially become the deadliest in the country's history, data suggests.
Global Voices
Global Voices2 days ago
Escalation of sexual violence raises alarm in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
In the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, violence against women has become an increasingly common problem. Figures from the first quarter of 2026 expose a major gender-based violence (GBV) crisis.
Graphs show Ebola outbreak on track to be worst in history
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says many of the deaths occurring in the Democratic Republic of Congo are happening outside of known transmission chains, meaning the outbreak is a long way from being brought under control.
The Rio Times
The Rio Times4 days ago
Congo’s Ebola Outbreak Is Now the Second Largest on Record
The DRC has reported 4,665 confirmed Ebola cases and 2,184 deaths. The outbreak has reached a sixth province and no vaccine is approved for the strain.
PBS NewsHour
PBS NewsHour4 days ago
Congo Ebola outbreak on track to become deadliest in history
The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo continues to worsen, with the number of confirmed cases climbing to over 4,600. At least 2,100 people have died, a death toll that was reached almost three times faster than the outbreak over a decade ago. William Brangham discussed the crisis with epidemiologist D
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo killing one person every 30 minutes, UN says
The United Nations says the epidemic is spreading at its fastest pace on record and threatens to become the deadliest outbreak in the disease's history.
Le Monde
Le Monde4 days ago
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo killing one person every 30 minutes, UN says
The United Nations says the epidemic is spreading at its fastest pace on record and threatens to become the deadliest outbreak in the disease's history.
CBS News
CBS News5 days ago
Ebola outbreak in Congo could be deadliest ever, global health chief warns
Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the head of the World Health Organization, is warning that the Ebola outbreak in Congo could be the deadliest ever. CBS News' Ramy Inoncencio reports.
Irish News
Irish News5 days ago
DR of Congo’s fastest-growing Ebola outbreak reaches a sixth province
The Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ebola outbreak has spread to a sixth province after a death was recorded in the previously unaffected Bas-Uele province, Africa CDC director-general Jean Kaseya said.Mr Kaseya said the man had travelled from Isiro in Haut-Uele province to Buta, the capital of Bas-Uele, where he died.T
The Mirror
The Mirror6 days ago
Ebola deaths hit 2,000 in Congo as WHO warns virus could become most deadly outbreak on record
As the latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo continues to spread at an alarming rate, WHO warns the true scale of the epidemic could be up to four times larger
The Telegraph
The Telegraph🏁 first to report6 days ago
Ebola outbreak ‘doubling every 20 days’, warns UN chief
Congo’s current epidemic is on track to eclipse the West African Ebola outbreak of 2014 to 2016