The Daily Star
AsiaPac · 3 hrs ago
Seven migrants dead, 50 rescued off Libya: charity
An Italian rescue charity said on Monday it pulled 50 people to safety from a double-deck wooden boat in international waters off Libya, and recovered seven bodies.Emergency said it spotted the "overcrowded wooden boat" in the early hours and began the rescue operation."Halfway through the rescue, our team noticed nine people lying on the deck," Jonathan Nani La Terra, the mission leader on board Emergency's Life Support search and rescue vessel, said in a statement.The nine "had been moved there by other survivors who had recovered them from the hold where they had spent the entire journey", he said."Nothing could be done for seven of them. Two are in a critical condition due to suffocation," he said.The migrants, who hail from Somalia and Egypt, said the boat had set off from Zuwara in L
Do you trust The Daily Star?
Sign in to rate
Discussion
?
No comments yet — be the first to start the discussion!