Times of India
AsiaPac · 15 mins ago
‘Cannot accept what US has offered’: Canada PM Carney defiant as trade talks collapse
The breakdown came after the United States imposed 50% tariffs on about $20 billion worth of Canadian products early SaturdayCanadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has rejected the latest US trade offer after last-ditch trade talks between the two countries collapsed, warning that Ottawa will retaliate with new tariffs targeting sectors including steel and dairy. Carney said the measures would come into effect on September 8.“We cannot accept what the US has offered and we will not give what they’ve asked,” Carney said.Carney said Canada had been prepared to remove its remaining retaliatory tariffs on strategic US sectors, particularly steel, aluminium and automobiles, as part of a broader agreement. However, he said Ottawa was not willing to compromise industries it considers vital to the Ca
Do you trust Times of India?
Sign in to rate
Discussion
?
No comments yet — be the first to start the discussion!